I have just learned how to use the neti pot! And I thought I knew how to do so before...not so!
Here is the correct way...
1. Prepare your desired solution (I like a pinch of sea salt or a weak Thyme leaf tea, (thanks Maggie H!) and fill pot.
2. Tilt your head to one side over a sink or basin.
3. Insert spout of pot gently in the raised nostril, creating a seal between pot and nostril.
4. Raise the pot slowly to develop a steady flow of solution through the upper portion of the nostril allowing it to drain out the lower nostril into the sink. (You may want to cover your front with a large towel to prevent wetness to clothing.)
5. During this process, BE SURE to breathe through the mouth so that the solution will flow freely and you do not choke on it-this was the part I was doing wrong!
6. Now exhale forcefully several times into a tissue to clear out the sinus passages.
7. Repeat process with other nostril.
Please feel free to contact me if you have further questions or concerns..